About this Show

The Young Turks With Cenk Uygur

News/Business. (2012) (CC) (Stereo)

NETWORK

DURATION
01:00:00

RATING
PG

SCANNED IN
San Francisco, CA, USA

SOURCE
Comcast Cable

TUNER
Virtual Ch. 107 (CURNT)

VIDEO CODEC
mpeg2video

AUDIO CODEC
ac3

PIXEL WIDTH
528

PIXEL HEIGHT
480

TOPIC FREQUENCY

Us 12, Florida 8, North Carolina 6, Ohio 5, Virginia 4, Wisconsin 4, Chris Christie 4, Ben 3, New York 3, Barack Obama 3, Mr. Romney 3, Washington 3, Obama 3, Mitt Romney 3, Allstate 2, U.s.a. 2, China 2, United States 2, Texas 2, Katrina 2,
Borrow a DVD
of this show
  Current    The Young Turks With Cenk Uygur    News/Business.   
   (2012)  (CC) (Stereo)  

    November 1, 2012
    10:00 - 11:00pm PDT  

10:00pm
turks." conservatives so mad about chris christie's praise of president obama. >> let me put it this way. is it wrong for one man to love another man? >> it's been a great working relationship. >> cenk: i love their bitterness. wait until you see fox news on that. awesome. it might of course all come down to ohio. >> obama: thank you ohio! >> oh, my god! >> romney: my guess is that if ohio votes me in as president i'll be the next president of the united states. >> cenk: we have the latest numbers four and we have congressman from ohio on the show today. then we've got one more fun story for you. who do the odds makers think is going to win the whole race?
10:01pm
we go to vegas to find out. >> a half hour late for my feeing. as it is, all air traffic in vegas being held up because of a v.i.p. customer in vegas, turns out the president is here for a fundraiser screwing up my day. i'm thinking about this romney guy. >> cenk: well, he might be alone. just wait until we show you the numbers. what my favorite story of the day is, all the pundits are mad at numbers because it shows president obama winning. they're mad at math! that's awesome! it's go time! [ ♪ theme ♪ ] >> obama: hello wisconsin! governor romney has been using all his talents as a salesman.
10:02pm
>> romney: he has a campaign slogan as moving forward. >> is it wrong for one man to love another man? >> romney: jeep is thinking of moving all production to china. >> chrysler c.e.o. said it's simply not true. >> will you endorse president obama? >> yes. his entire strategy is a in flame others. >> obama: we're all in this together. we rise or fall at one nation. >> cenk: hey jeb he wants to blame your brother because it's your brother's fault. he's the schmuck that got us into the recession in the first place. kind of convenient for you to forget. president obama is talking about how we all have to stick together in times of emergencies like we had in sandy speaking in wisconsin. >> obama: when disaster strikes
10:03pm
we see all the petty differences that consume us in normal times all seem to melt away. there are no democrats or republicans during a storm. there are just fellow americans. >> [ cheers and applause ] >> cenk: all right now that's a very good speech there. it's true. it also helps his cause. i notice something during that peach. let's show you the picture of the president there in wisconsin. normally they don't have the presidential seal at the podium, they have his campaign slogan. now they have it at the podium and on his jacket. gee, i wonder who the president ofofhehenited states off a ariri is. atat no the a a a aididt.t. they're doing that to remind people here's the president being president and being forceful. nothing wrong with it. that's exactly that he's doing and doing a great job. my job is to let you know how politics works. they planned that so he seemed more presidential and it's nicely placed. again to give president to
10:04pm
president obama, he said that he would focus on fema. here's what president obama said during the debates back in 2007. >> obama: we've got to make sure we have an effective emergency response, something this administration failed to do when we had a hurricane in new orleans. i think we have to review how we operate in the event of not only a natural disaster, but also a terrorist attack. >> cenk: it turns out he was right and preparedness is very, very important, in fact getting high praise from this gentlemen all week long. >> he has worked very, voluntary closely with me and i can't thank the president enough for working with our state and the people of our state. >> cenk: that has made rush limbaugh very, very angry. >> chris christie is the only republican not just praising obama. i mean, it's -- it's -- let me
10:05pm
just put it this way. is it wrong for one man to love another man? but that man-love out there it's isolated to the state of new jersey. >> cenk: man i love that, because when chris christie is being a tough guy and conservative and right wing, man, that's a man's man yelling at people and mad. when he embraces the president he's kind of gay. he's going to have a greek reference later. why are they so upset? when you ask americans in a poll how do you rate the president's response to the storm 78% positively because it has been very positive, so they're thinking oh, my god it's the the week before the election and he's looking so presidential. we're asking the president for
10:06pm
the 88th time in a row and that's how this game is played. since those numbers are so positive for the president here comes fox news and their freak out and rush limbaugh blaming chris christie saying the president's not doing much. enjoy. >> in this case, it allows obama to play president. >> obama: no bureaucracy to red tape. >> he's been president for four years, why is there so much red tape. >> president obama all he's doing, he's signing a check with our money. >> obama is looking for somebody to play the role of a greek column today and he found governor christie willing to do it. >> extensive photo ops and hugging. >> some said the state should be in charge of this relief money. >> they still owe in a billion dollars from katrina!
10:07pm
>> cenk: from katrina! bitter man. i love how bitter they are. my favorite was brit hume. he said: >> cenk: you know why? because sandy was hitting washington, d.c. at that moment. it's not like the government wasn't responding. president obama was all over the place. they were totally at work, they just sent home people like they did in new york and other places because they were in the middle of the storm. oh where's the government now? what a bunch of losers on fox news! all right now i had given the president some advice on how to attack mitt romney. if you remember, this was part of the ad we said he should run. >> it's not that mitt romney doesn't care about running, it's
10:08pm
just that he isn't on your team. >> corporations aren't people, my friends. >> under bush, stock prices went up while job in connection and wages for us went down. mitt romney, what's the difference between you and george w. bush. >> if you raise taxes on the so-called rich, you're really raising taxes on the job creators. >> stop this war on job creators. >> they're the same republicans with the same plan. they win the rest of us lose. can we afford to make this mistake again. >> cenk: as we turn to heavy duty campaigning about president obama take our advice? you listen to him talking about these are the same old republicans. why would you make that mistake again. watch. >> obama: in the closing weeks of this campaign, governor romney has been using all his talents as a salesman to dress up these very same policies that failed our country so badly the
10:09pm
very same policies we've been cleaning up after for the past four years and he is offering them up as change! giving more power back to the biggest banks isn't change. leaving millions without health insurance isn't change! another $5 trillion tax cult that favors the wealthy isn't change. >> cenk: president obama's campaign team, you're welcome. all right now we're going to bring in michael shure our political correspondent. i understand that we in the midst of all this campaigning do not have campaigning in some places. what are they and why? >> there are reasons he is not in certain places. he is going to be in ohio, wisconsin, iowa, colorado, one stop scheduled in new hampshire one in virginia. he does not have any stops in north carolina, nor in michigan. he doesn't have a stop in minnesota or pennsylvania.
10:10pm
the threeness, you look at that map there, you see those three states in blue? they're going to stay blue. the president's people follow the president follow the money you know, up until now. we'll get to why money's being spent in other places. you follow the president he's not going to those states, because he knows he has them. not going to north carolina. the people in chicago don't think it's worth going there. even though they're voting. >> cenk: if you've won north carolina, you've won virginia and so many other states, you're already president of the united states, why even if you thought it was going in your direction you shouldn't waste any time there. >> you know, i don't know that -- >> cenk: you want a bigger election victory. >> you do want to make up some -- listen, when you look at it you want to win those states. >> cenk: i would expect $0 in north carolina and zero time, because it is in conceivable that he wins ins north carolina but loses in virginia and ohio
10:11pm
and somehow north carolina is the difference. in my opinion, it's a waste of tile. right now he is not wasting time there. >> according to the chenk uygur philosophy and probably right at this point. >> cenk: florida apparently there's early voting there. palm beach county, this is fascinating and good numbers behind it, too. >> we obtained an internal memo from a gop campaign advisor saying early and absentee turnout is starting to look troubling. in 2008, president obama beat john mccain. it says: >> cenk: so, apparently getting their clock cleaned in florida. does that make a big difference? >> it does. 2.8 million absentee ballots have been ordered in florida.
10:12pm
1.6 million have already been returned. there were only 2.2 million in florida ordered in 2008. it's a big difference percentage-wise. the fact that they're worried about it is important. follow what these people are saying constantly. when you see an internal memo saying their clocks are getting cleaned, their clocks are getting cleaned. >> cenk: if romney is trailing in florida or even close romney again in big big big trouble because he needs florida absolutely positively. all right, michael shure thanks so much for joining us. we really appreciate it. how much trouble is mitt romney in? we sent ben down davis to talk to the odds makers and how certain are they if they are at all that president obama's going to win. ben reports fromvasion when we return. >> you can't pick a winner? >> i would lose that bet.
10:13pm
>> cenk: we'll tell you about ohio and of course, the elbow of the day which is actually four elbows this time around. i'm not going to ask you to guess them all thomas jefferson said that a successful democracy depended on an informed electorate. our country's future depends on you. to help you make informed decisions, watch current tv's politically direct lineup. only on current tv. take the time to learn about the issues. don't just vote, vote smart.
10:14pm
10:15pm
kucinich.
10:16pm
>> cenk: ohio critical in this election. we'll get a no poll, 46-48 president obama in the lead. that is one of the smaller leads, but the overall average obama at 48.9% and romney at 46.6%. even there about a 3 point lead, two to 3 point lead in ohio, so that's pretty good. what's happening in ohio? obviously romney's trying to undo that with an onslaught of ads. >> here in ohio, president obama's failed economic and trade policies with china destroyed thousands of jobs. >> i am here in ohio supporting obama for his reelection. >> the question ohio families
10:17pm
are asking is who can bring back the jobs. >> in 2008, millions of ohioans voted before election day. i need your help to keep moving forward. >> cenk: earlier today i talked to dennis kucinich, congressman from ohio and asked him about the incredible spending, $18.5 million by romney campaign and 11.4 by the obama campaign. i asked him what that says about our political system. >> well, the fact that in this campaign over $4 billion may be spent in pursuit of elections that's a major problem for urodeles, because essentially votes are being bought by those who have the most money. that's a problem. also the proliferation of the ads don't necessarily mean people are going to turn out. these negative ads may be designed to depress turnout and
10:18pm
that i think is also anti democratic. these ads are used because mass communications do have effects and the effects are measurable. people are spending because they know it will help move one can't date up, another down. that's why both are spending furiously in ohio. >> cenk: speaking of which we've got ads from both sides running, and ad that has become infamous romney totally perverting the reality on what happened with the auto bailouts. let's show you that and get your reaction. >> who will do more for the auto industry? not barack obama. fact checkers confirm his attacks on mitt romney are false. the truth, mitt romney has a plan to help the auto industry. he's supported by lee lee iacoca.
10:19pm
>> >> cenk: pants on fire in many ways we've explained. does it matter what the truths is if you can buy an alternate reality? >> you can't buy and alternate reality. the auto workers in ohio understand that the evident on the government on their behalf was real and had real impact. i don't think that when it comes to ohio that mitt romney's going to be able to arrive at the white house in an american made car. [ laughter ] >> cenk: well, i understand that his wife has several cadillacs so it's possible. so, let's talk about why you think ohio, if you think that, as you just indicated, why it's solidly in president obama's camp. >> well, at this point president obama, if you look at all the polls has a two to three-point margin. it's been consistent. however you have to keep something in mind before anybody
10:20pm
uncorking the champagne. this is going to depend on purposeout. turnout alone can increase the votes two to 3%, so it could actually wipe out the margin of error in a poll and you could find on election night ohio could come down to a nail-biter. if it comes down to 14,000 votes, there will be an automatic recount which won't start until november 27. we could be looking at a very close race in ohio. the secretary of state doesn't count provisional ballots until 10 days after the election. absente ballots may be included in some of those. we have to understand that this race is not over, that it's still up for grabs and those who want to see their candidate elected are going to have to work right up until the final moment and there is no result that is guaranteed by any poll. >> cenk: that leads us to the uneven playing field. we've been covering all the dirty tricks the republicans
10:21pm
have been doing over the last couple weeks whether misleading poll watchers, literally some voter fraud and throwing away democratic registrations. you've got the text messages being sent out with lies about president obama's track record, et cetera. on the democratic side, you don't have almost any of that, so the other guys willing to do anything to win an election and in 2000 they made all the difference when they disenfranchised voters in florida and it worked, it got them to win an election they shouldn't have won. how do you as a democratic party, how do you handle that? you don't want to cheat also, but then you have rampant cheating all the time by the republicans. what do you do? >> early voting, door knocks on election day pull the vote out. it's the person to person contact that will win the day here. all this gamesman ship, the dirty tricks, an organized
10:22pm
campaign can get past those things and move on to victory. in a way it's almost like a sports event. you've got to be careful not to get distracted by the dirty tricks and run your own game. the game with the obama campaign is massive g.o.t. people have been coming in to vote from various areas over the last couple weeks. that is good for the obama mpaign.. >> ceneneval millili d dla over self election cycles by the republicans to go and do these registrations, take democratic registrations, get rid of them. why isn't he in jail? >> you raise a very good point and that is that there are state laws that deal with voter fraud or intimidation, and those laws can be invoked to go after those who are trying to deny the
10:23pm
american people or deny the people of a particular state an opportunity to exercise their franchise and they ought to be enforced. there are battalions of attorneys now preparing for i election day but we have to keep in mind that certain tricks and tactics that have been used up to this point could and are aimed to try to discourage people from voting. you wonder why can't we have an up or down vote on the president of the united states without trying to confuse people for deprive them of their right to vote. people playing this system and creating phony issues or trying to deny people an opportunity to vote, they ought to be held accountable, and the way to do it is through not only filing lawsuits but use available laws to take action against them. >> cenk: thank you so much for joining us. really appreciate it. >> thank you very much. >> cenk: great to hear from
10:24pm
congressman kucinich. when we come back, ben is sitting in las vegas where i understand they have odds makers who might know a thing or two about what might win. >> yeah, chenk forget the pundits, what matters are what the-wise guys are saying about the election and we'll have that answer later i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i i
10:25pm
10:26pm
[ ♪ theme ♪ ] >> cenk: this is my favorite story of the day. pundits across the country are mad at nate silver, analyst who got 48 out of 50 states right last time around. now politico is running an article saying he might be a one term celebrity. pundits are saying how can you do this math? it's not neutral. why are you doing math? he combines the polls and tracks it. here's his tracking of it. you can see that president obama was solidly in the lead and it shrank after the first debate
10:27pm
and picked back up afterwards and is now at a significant advantage for president obama. now this shows the significant advantage for president obama damn it, you can't do that! we have to say he said, she said. joe scarborough is very upset about this. >> nate silver said there is a 73.6% chance that the president's going to win. anybody that thinks that this race is anything but a toss up right now is such an idealogue they should be kept away from type writers computers laptops and microphones for the next 10 days, because they're jokes. >> cenk: you should be kept away from a television camera. are you kidding me? all the guy's doing is math! now math is ideological? he said based on the ads now i
10:28pm
think he's going to win. not because i want him to win because of the numbers. i still want to bet so i'll make it $2,000. another great quote is from jonathan carl: >> cenk: that right there is the washington media in a nutshell. i didn't bother looking at the facts or numbers. i asked the democrats and they said they were going to win and republicans said they are going to win. i'm confused. look at the facts. do some math! god, they're unbelievable. guys who care about the math are the odds makers. we sent ben mankiewicz to las
10:29pm
vegas. ben, what do you have for us? >> well, in the words of deep throat to bob woodward, follow the money always follow the money. and the money is pretty clear on where this race is, and, you know you read that quote from jonathan karl. i don't know him but i know what's in his blood and in his heart is oh, no, fox news and sean hannity and rush limbaugh and bill o'reilly and michael savage and drudge report are going to call me a lefty if i say looks like obama has the heat. that's all it is. saying the race at 75% doesn't make it over. if the guy has a two thirds chaps of winning you roll the dice and the other guy wins. here in vegas, it is fairly obvious, and fairly clear what's happening, and i went here to ask the guys who know where the
10:30pm
money was and this is what i found out. >> so, home here in las vegas and eager to make bets on the presidential election. obviously i'm in the right place. >> i've got some bad news for you. if you're looking to bet on the election, might have to send you away. don't take any wagers on presidential elections any politics in the state enormously. >> that was a wasted trip. good news, laws against gambling seem to have no impact on americans who continue to wager illegally pretty recklessly. in 2011, $2.88 billion was wagered legally atlasvasion sports books but according to the national gambling impact study commission. $380 billion was wagered illegally. >> suppose i want to make a wager offshore? what's happening? what's the line, if you will? >> right now seeing big
10:31pm
movement toward barack obama. there are offshore books who had him a 2-1 favorite a week ago now 3-1. you're talking about a 75% likelihood that he's reelected as president. the gallop polls have shown romney had a leg up on the competition. >> what do you make of that? >> you always want to say money speaks louder than the so-called popularity polls. that's why they play the games and we'll know next tuesday night. >> are the guys who essentially wager on this or invest in this pretty reliable in general? >> you know what, these guys are a great indicator. there are a number of things going on as a barometer of truth. they may have taken a position early on romney as a huge underdog and try to bet it back with barack obama. normally you're going to see prices approaching 40 to 50
10:32pm
implies barack obama has a leg up on the competition. >> when a pun did it says it's a toss up, this race, that's not really correct. >> some of the indicators say one thing the odds are saying something substantially different. i'm curious to see what happens when the numbers settle into place. most of these spots will close prices mid-day on tuesday and that should be a real good indication what we'll see later. >> you can bet it six days from now, and can't pick a winner. >> i would lose that bet on wednesday. >> cenk: now ben the guy todd there's one thing that i wanted to correct there. he referred to a gallup poll that has mitt romney up a little bit, right? but i don't want people to think well the polls say one thing the markets another. the reason the markets say president obama is going to win because that poll is an outliar
10:33pm
and national poll witness be polls in the electoral battleground actually have president obama winning right? >> that's exactly what he was saying. these guys follow lines and sporting events. they were great to let us come in and do this. for me, it was incredibly cool place just to be. what he was saying is that it might seem contradict arery to some when you see that gallop poll. he knows those money guys are following the polls we see at the state level by the way national polls now. the gallop poll is an outliar and one of nine or 10 national polls, the others a different story. >> cenk: the closer we get to election is you guys were alluding to, the more certain the markets become and the more certain polls become. one of the reasons the main reason the polls are not a
10:34pm
certainty is because things can change in the next five days, but as we get close to the election, they become more and more certain don't they? >> eventually, you run out of events that are going to change minds or sway people. we basically have a weekend left before the election. the right can cry all they want and jonathan karl say i don't know what's going to happen and scarborough can call everybody who does math an idiot, he can call them idiots until they're blue in the face. romney was in florida and virginia. three weeks ago after the denver debate the thought was those states belonged to romney. the fact that he's here in those states five days before the election tells you he's trying to shore up those states and they also believe these polls. you know, the journalists are simply not telling an accurate story to the american people, but the last thing i just want
10:35pm
to say about it, who cares? like it's ok to tell that story saying at a obama is the favorite right now at 350 basically, meaning you'd have to bet $350 win $100 on obama. we've all seen the underdog win but it does mean that romney is an underdog five days out. >> cenk: doesn't mean that you're biased in their favor. they're maddening. all right, ben, thank you man we'll speak to you again from vegas soon. when we come back, one had the guts to call it what it is. what others considering a controversial cover, but a cover we love. it's global warming stupid and we're going to have the guy who wrote the article when we come back. >> that's just the size of a giant tanker, that's the size
10:36pm
and this oil spill goes all the way out into the new york harbor.
10:37pm
10:38pm
10:39pm
>> cenk: remember every time that it snows fox goes out there and goes what happened to global warming? we got a snowstorm! now all of a sudden, they're flipping that. eric bowling said yesterday on fox and friends: in other words when it's a snowstorm that tells you everything you need to know about climate but when it's a giant hurricane, that's just weather. luckily, not everybody is that stupid. mayor bloomberg of new york, of course, known very much throughout the country as an independent, used to be a republican has just decided to endorse president obama, because of climate change. let me read you part of his
10:40pm
endorsement: >> cenk: so that's great. president obama had a response obviously thankful and said i'm honored to have mayor bloomberg's endorsement: >> cenk: now both bloomberg and president obama talked about working together. now here's the problem. the other side doesn't want to work together on this. in fact, there is a guy who wanted to bring attention to climate, silence and how we're
10:41pm
having change at a mitt romney rally. look at what happens when he tries to shout about that and ask romney a question. watch. >> what about climate? that's what caused this monster storm! [ booing ] [ crowd chants u.s.a. ] >> cenk: i love that reaction. hey, what about climate science? u.s.a.! u.s.a.! we're number one! ha ha, take that, climate change. luckily, not everybody's that dense. new cover of business week is it's global warming stupid.
10:42pm
we now have the author of that article, assistant managing editor of bloomberg business week joining us now. some believe this cover story is a bit controversial. do you believe it is? >> no, obviously the cover language is meant to get people's attention but if you read the story itself, you see we're playing it right down the middle. the issue here is not to blame climate change for any one particular storm but to say that the conditions in the atmosphere have indisputably changed and as a result of those changes, all storms generally speaking are going to be prone to be more severe and more frequent and we are beginning to see in undeniable terms the price of the warming of the atmosphere, the warming of the ocean waters and the rise of the ocean waters. >> cenk: paul, here's the problem with that. you say it's undeniable, all the
10:43pm
scientists say it's undeniable, the republicans say i don't give a d.l., i'm going to deny it anyway. when mayor bloomberg and president obama talk about working together with the republicans, they're not going to work together about this, they're paid off. >> i don't know about paid off but in the short term, i fear your political analysis is correct. i don't think we'll see serious progress in this country until there's a president and congress controlled by people serious about the issue. i don't think mitt romney is being serious about the issue. >> cenk: real quick come on, why do you think they all of a sudden decided to ignore science? could it have something to do with all the campaign contributions from the fossil fuel industry? >> i have no doubt there's a connection there but it goes beyond that. this is a broad ideaological
10:44pm
mindset, used as a way to sort of cleave the voters. i don't know that it matters to get into the motives of climate denial. it has helped stifle the debate and we have to hope and work toward reopen that go debate and taking constructive steps at least that's my point of view. >> cenk: i hear you on that. it's a great article. i want to thank you for having the courage to white what is right and true. these days, it takes courage. thank you for joining us. >> you bet my pleasure. >> cenk: when we come back, someone else has courage on this issue, daryl hannah and she got arrested over it. we're going to talk to her. >> you were taken in and booked on suspicion of criminal trespass thatting. she was among a group of
10:45pm
10:46pm
10:47pm
where you don't back down from a challenge. this is the age of knowing how to make things happen. so, why let erectile dysfunction get in your way? talk to your doctor about viagra. 20 million men already have. ask your doctor if your heart is healthy enough for sex. do not take viagra if you take nitrates for chest pain; it may cause an unsafe drop in blood pressure. side effects include headache, flushing upset stomach, and abnormal vision. to avoid long-term injury, seek immediate medical help for an erection lasting more than four hours. stop taking viagra and call your doctor right away if you experience a sudden decrease or loss in vision or hearing. this is the age of taking action. viagra. talk to your doctor.
10:48pm
[ ♪ theme ♪ ] >> cenk: you might know daryl hannah as an actress but she's also a huge environmental activist. on the boards of eco america alliance action and the list goes on and on. she executive produced a movie called greedy lying bass starteds. she joins us now on the "young turks." good to see that you're out of jail. >> thank you. >> cenk: why were you protesting there and how did go down? >> well, i was meeting with a bunch of farmers ranchers and landowners in texas who were dismayed because their land is being taken through eminent domain. we are talking about people who are not necessarily liberals or democrats and still shocked that a foreign company could come and take their property even though
10:49pm
they weren't wanting it to and they weren't making any agreements with them and they were still bringing this pipeline through their property. the lady he was arrested with was a 78-year-old land owner. her husband was in the oil business for 50 years and we were that arrested on her property that she still has to pay taxes for including the part that they took through eminent dough nine. >> cenk: that's amazing and telling. we're going to build this oil pipeline we'll arrest you for trespassing on your own property. how do they justify that? >> eleanor fairchild her husband was in the oil business. she knows oil and pipe lines and doesn't have a problem with either. what she has a problem with is tar sands. it's going to be through the aquifer in texas which serves 10 million to 12 million people and industry and the fresh water drinking source and serves the ranch and farmland for
10:50pm
irrigation water. tar sands is the dirtiest facile fuel on the planet. that is about the extraction process. if we put in the key stone pipeline, not just the southern portion which was fast tracked but the northern portion they're trying to resubmit plans for so it doesn't go through another aquifer, that is going to increase the development of the tar sands exponentially. it's plan is to increase by four times as far as i know. >> the gene party presidential candidate was also arrested. >> that's right. >> i want to understand the southern-northern part. president obama has so far blocked the northern part but did ok the southern part. isn't that also a little counter intuitive? the southern part ships the oil from outside the country. i thought we were doing that for
10:51pm
energy independence. >> that is not true. that's b.s. we've been fed and accept. that oil is getting down to the gulf of mexico so it can be available for export. that is the thing that's been so disingenuous saying this is for energy security and independence. it is not. it's for a foreign company transcanada who is building the pipeline and the oil companies invested in it, exxon shell, et cetera to get their oil to the open market. >> do you get discouraged seeing president obama engages in that same 19 sense when he knows he approved the thing that is going to send oil to other countries not our country. romney loves it, all the washington loves it. how in the world are we going to fight back when it seems they've got all the politicians. >> we've got to get rid of citizens united states. that ruling was just the most
10:52pm
immoral unethical thing i mean it's shocking, frankly, you know that we're allowed to put this much money into the pockets of politicians. i mean, you look at how many politicians are on the payroll of the koch brothers, of the oil companies. it's just shocking, and $6 billion by next week by the time we go into the polls into political campaigns. it's just hideous. >> cenk: over the last two days on this show. james-sewn, one of the leading scientists in the world dennis kucinich and yourself talking about the number one problem is money in politics. we can't solve issues while our politicians are bought and paid for by these companies. >> exactly. >> cenk: one last question about president obama. do you believe that if he's reelected he will approve the northern portion? >> i think he's always been planning to.
10:53pm
he put it off because he knew elections were coming up and obviously thousands of people got arrested voluntarily in front of the white house. the white house was surrounded by people a few weeks later in protest of this pipeline. people realize that water and our uncontaminated water soil and food, the aquifer serves for water a third of our nation's ranch and farmlands. if that is contaminated, we are screwed, so he kind of just pushed it aside and said you know what, we're going to postpone that until we review. he was hitting a wall against republicans, democrats tea party saying no, it's not going through. he quickly quietly fast tracked the southern leg. when i was arrested, people were shocked to know that the key stone was already going in. >> cenk: he's definitely going to approve it. i agree with you. thank you for joining us. >> thank you. >> cenk: when we come back, we've
10:54pm
10:55pm
this is more than a teddy bear. it's a step towards normal. it's why allstate catastrophe teams not only have hot coffee and help for grownups... they've also handed out more than twelve thousand teddy bears to kids. people come first... everything else is second. that's allstate's stand. are you in good hands?
10:56pm
>> cenk: the president has been receiving a lot of bipartisan love this week. of course, first there was chris christie. >> the president is great. i spoke to him three times yesterday. >> he's worked incredibly closely with me. >> the president has been all over this. he deserves great credit. >> i appreciate his friendship. >> we're doing the jobs that people elected us to do. >> cenk: so, of course, that's the republican gore of new jersey. then we go to colin powell. >> will you endorse president obama? >> yes. i think we ought to keep on the track that we're on. >> cenk: and as we showed you earlier in the show, mayor bloomberg, widely nobody as an independent, used to be a republican has endorsed president obama but we're not done yet. the final elbow on top of mitt romney's head is from the london-based newspaper the economist which is economically conservative. nonetheless, they're endorsing president obama. here's why they say they're doing that. "the extremism of his party
10:57pm
referring to mitt romney is mr. romney's greatest handicap. this newspaper yearns for the more tolerant conserve t.i. of ronald reagan where it meant keeping the state out of people bead rooms as well as out of their businesses. mr. romney shows no signs of wanting to revive it." now, you know romney has become right wing when you look for the compassionate conservatism of ronald reagan. they also continue. "for all his business-like intentions mr. romney has an economic plan that works only if you don't believe most of what he says. that's not a convincing pitch for chief executive. and for all his short comings mr. obama has dragged america's economy back from the brink of disaster and has made a decent first of foreign policy. so this newspaper would stick with the devil it knows and re-elect him." now, if you call the guy you're endorsing the devil you know, that's one hell of an elbow! all right. worse than the devil
10:58pm
10:59pm